Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

You Win Some, You Lose Some


Today Punkin had a new friend over for a playdate. I'm always apprehensive before this type of thing because I'm always afraid Punkin may be a bit too much for the other child. And also because I'm basically a hermit. But, like my hubby, I'll blame it on Punkin.

Well, my worries were for nothing as it went great. For some reason I want to say swimmingly. That it went swimmingly. Because it did. She was the cutest, sweetest little girl. Before we knew it it was 1:30 and they had to leave. She got fussy because she didn't want to leave. Then the first thing Punkin asked about when he got up from his nap - other than for chocolate milk - was when she was coming back. Just too sweet. I am a very happy and proud Mommy this afternoon.

Oh, and her Mommy was really nice, too. And she reads my blog so I can't forget to say that! I hope yall can come back again soon!

Now on to something that didn't turn out as well. If you don't want to hear about my technology issues you better check out now! I think I mentioned in passing - or maybe that was on Facebook - but I've been in the market for a scanner. Let me qualify that. A cheap, cheap, cheap scanner. I got one from Freecycle. Didn't work. My sister gave me one. No power cord. Her friend gave me another. No power cord.

So I finally go to our brand spankin new Best Buy to look for a new one. Hey, hubby didn't put his birthday money in the communal pot so why should I? Anyway, the cheapest one was $104, but then I noticed it: $250, on sale for $62. Scanner, two sided copier/printer, fax. Everything a girl could want except for a wireless connection. But what do you expect for $62? Well, you couldn't expect a box. Or a manual. Or software. But you could get an additional 10% off and end up paying $60, including tax.

You know how some girls get about shoes? Or makeup? Or a new purse? I get that way about new electronics. And software. And no you pervs out there, not electronics that require batteries. So I love it. I'm in hog heaven. I know this sounds terribly boring to you, but I got to go home and scour the internet for manuals and print drivers and scanning software. I practically needed a cigarette afterwards.

So before Fun Monday I go to use my new super duper scanner and the damn thing is full of lint. My scanned photos look like they were all taken during a snow storm or around someone with a horrendous case of dandruff. I consulted my downloaded manual, but nothing. So can some of you tech savvy folks out there tell me how I can clean the inside of the scanner without f'ing up the whole thing? Cause, man, that's $60.

And while you're at it, can you tell me how to hook it up so that it works from my router? Because none of my cords seem to fit the plugs on either end.

20 comments:

Hootin'Anni said...

YOU HAVE A TREAT AT MY BLOG!!! Drop by, scroll down and pick it up if you'd like. [on my Wordless Wednesday post]

Jennifer said...

Try cleaning it with head and shoulders!!!

Michelle said...

Awwww, what a sweet thing to say, and my little "angel" had such a great time playing!! She's been asking about her "boyfriend"! :) We'll definitely have to do it again soon!

Kimberly said...

A vacuum?

buddha_girl said...

Oh, jaysus. You are addicted to technology.

I can provide you with zero help as I know little to nothing about such shit.

I even had two of my students hook up the DVD player to the tv in my classroom. I gave them all of the 'stuff' that came with the player and set my timer for 11 minutes. They had that shit hooked up before the timer beeped. I was so impressed. *snort*

Congrats on the great play date!!! I wish Buddha and I lived closer. He and Punkin would have a great time together!

Mad goat lady said...

Aww sounds like your little darling had such fun...so nice when they go out and behave well isn't it?

Now as for your lint problem..if it was in your washing machine I would say hose it out but seeing as this is in your printer I think I will hold back that advice...LOL

Good Luck :)

Beckie said...

A cigarette afterwards - that made me laugh.

Emma in Canada said...

I can't help. I'm sure that during the short amount of time we have known each other you have realized that I am quite computer illiterate.

Does Saoirse have future boyfriend competition!?

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

You know my Hub still has to upload pictures, so there's no way I'm any help.

And, I'm so glad Mr. P has a girly friend. ooooh!

mjd said...

and the rest are rained out. Well, your new toy looks pretty.

Serina Hope said...

I have scanner envy now, lint or no lint. I hope you are happy.

her indoors said...

great swimmingly play day.
me i know nothing, no imean it i know nothing, i can switch the puter on and i can use it then i switch it off again, that is my limitation lol hope you sort it out!

Willowtree said...

Is it really full of lint, or is that just some colourful description of why the photos come out bad? This is why tech support has such a high turnover!

Oh, and that's not a rhetorical question, I want an answer.

Soumyadip said...

You can find the answer to your query on the drop-down label widget here.

Suburban Oblivion said...

Unfortunately you can't just hook a printer to a router(I wish), you'll need to pick up a wireless print server. Circuit City has a decent one for 99 dollars, and if I'm not mistaken I believe it allows for wireless use of the fax feature as well so long as the printer is hooked to your phone line where you have it stationed :)

Enjoy your new toy, I know exactly what you mean!! ;)

Rachel said...

Tech-saavy I am not. Have you tried canned air?

elena jane said...

i love new gadgets, but only if someone comes and sets them up for me....and if they work!!
playdates are fun, but sometimes exhausting....glad yours was good :)

I'm a Mom!..? said...

Can't you take it back to the store?

justmylife said...

If you find a computer savvy person to give you free advice, send them my way. My computer keeps turning itself off and on. I'm glad punkin had a great time, and that you found a great deal. Good luck getting it straightened out. Wish I could help, but as you know I am having computer problems myself.

angel said...

thats so frustrating!
i do hope you've managed to sort it out...?
glad the playdate was a good one!